Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ultimate Burger

I have a confession to make. When I added the "ultimate burger" to the poll last week, I mostly just added it to fill an empty spot. I actually didn't really even know what an ultimate burger was. And I didn't expect it to get any votes at all, but the more I researched and read articles and recipes about burgers, the more I realized that the ultimate burger sounded like a lot of fun to try. The endless possibilities in the burger itself essentially broke the tie. Now, one disclaimer I should add, is that this is what I think the ultimate burger would be. I'm not saying this is the right way, or only way to do it. It's just what I think would be the best. Your favorites may be something completely different. But for now.... here's my Ultimate Burger:


  • Fresh Kaiser rolls from Bings Bakery
  • 50% Ground Chuck/50% Ground Sirloin blend freshly ground from Herman's Meat Market
  • Aged Canadian white cheddar
  • Caramelized onions
  • Homemade roasted red pepper mayonnaise

The Weber was hoping for a day like today. Good quality ingredients and a good fire always make for a tasty dinner. I lit the coals and set up a two zone fire with med-high heat. I like the two zone fire for burgers because i can easily move a burger to the cooler side in case of flare ups. The indirect heat side also works perfectly for toasting the buns while the burgers finish up. As for the beef, I made some pretty big burgers. I got 4 patties out of 1.5 lbs of beef. The ground chuck was for the fat to keep things juicy, and the sirloin was for the flavor. I may have spoiled myself out of ever buying grocery store shrink wrapped stuff again. Two other things I learned from today: really good cheese is really expensive and really good cheese is totally worth it.


So now I have to ask. What is your Ultimate Burger? Is the beef the priority, or the toppings. Do you crave the classic with lettuce, tomato, mustard and ketchup? Or is your ultimate burger more of a bistro burger with artisan breads and pestos. Is bacon on your must have list? Often overlooked is what kind of bun or roll is to hold your masterpiece. Just a couple of questions to get your creative burger juices flowing. Let me know what you think!

10 comments:

  1. once again, another great meal by Brian! And I can't remember the last time I cooked dinner, seriously!
    My ultimate burger:
    turkey burger w/pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, ketchup, and possibly bacon all on a toasted sesame seed bun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have been singing the praises of really good cheese for a long time.... how did you ever miss out on that sermon?! welcome to the club. i am glad to have another member.

    I am ready for you to create a poll for me to choose my meals (alexis did say that maybe a weber-or-two meals might happen during your stay--- also a lesson/apprenticeship, is included, i hope) and then i need the accompanying grocery lists so i can be all ready for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be more than happy to grill a dinner or two. lessons included. but i think you should pick whatever you want. I'm pretty open to whatever. you let me know what your hungry for and i'll give you the shopping list (if needed)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where's Herman's Meat Market? Plus, Brian - I never got a response on my "Grillin' Pizzas" comment. :( We've gotta put in some type of closed-loop system where you're notified when a comment is posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's on Cleveland Ave. You've probably driven by it a million times. I highly recommend it. I am notified of new comments by email, but then again that means i have to check email. Also, you need to post what your ultimate burger is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bri... please look at the ray's hell burger menu at 150. my ultimate burgers and i would love to know if you can top them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe difficult on a grill - but for me the ultimate burger involves bacon.

    The bun is not so critical - as long as the bun size matches the meat size - no overhang or underhang.

    Also, leave off the mayo and add some lettuce or raw onion for a little crunch.

    Don't forget to pack your metric-sized grilling tools for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahh yes...bacon. I struggled quite some time on whether or not to add bacon. i think my next burger will definitly have to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. courtney... i didnt get to see a full menu of Ray's Hell-Burger but i did read a couple articles online. Looks like a place i'll have to visit at some point. I did notice they use a brioche bun for their burgers. I actually went to Bings with intent on finding some brioche, but they didn't have any. I settled on the kaiser, but maybe I'll have to try a little harder to find some next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an incredible burger! I would trade the onions for some pickles, though.

    By the way, are you going to have regularly scheduled burger days? And are reservations required?

    ReplyDelete