Sunday, September 20, 2009

1st Annual Grill-a-thon



Any time that you have to set an alarm so you can get up to start preparing dinner, you know it's going to be good.  It was finally time for the first annual Grill-a-thon 2009.  Dad had two big pork shoulders on his Weber charcoal grill by 8am and the Grilling Gods blessed us with perfect weather.   I arrived shortly after 9am with my truck packed full of grilling goodies.  After my last grilling experience, I was eager to redeem myself and get started early.  My part of the menu included Roasted Red Pepper and Grilled Chicken Paninis, and a Center Cut Pork Loin.  I always like doing the paninis because it can easily be made into an all day event.  I started out by cutting some herbs from the garden for the fresh herb butter (honestly, i think that's the secret must-have ingredient).  Then one fire for the roasted red peppers, another fire for the chicken.  And I finished the paninis off on the Genesis gas grill.  Ordinarily I'd use the same coals from the chicken but I had to occupy the grill with my Pork Loin.  My pork ended up being on the grill for just a couple hours.  I made sure to feed plenty of hickory chips for good smoke, and I basted pretty often.   For an all day grilling event like this I could probably keep typing for hours, but I'll spare you the boring tips and recipes and just post some pictures.  All you need to know is everyone left with a full stomach and a smile on their face.

The setup.... My Weber 18.5" kettle, Dad's Weber Genesis, and Dad's 22.5" Kettle

Pork Shoulders early on, for Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Marinated Grilled Shrimp for lunch

Chicken breasts for paninis

Dad grillin up some lunch

Center Cut Pork Loin.

Roasted Red Pepper and Grilled Chicken Paninis.  I used a cookie sheet with 3 foil wrapped bricks as my panini press. 

And for dessert there was Home Made Vanilla Ice Cream, which we spooned onto grilled peach halves.

It was the first time we tried some grilled peaches before.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but they came out suprisingly well.  The peaches themselves held together on the grill, but you could easily slice into them with a spoon and they tasted like peach pie without the crust. 

Overall, I couldn't have had a more fun day.  I think we have ourselves the start of a pretty tasty tradition. 

5 comments:

  1. Dad asked me today what we could do to improve the Grill-a-thon for next year. I thought about it for a minute or so and honestly, came up empty. But one, we need all Milams present. And this may be a stretch, but camping grilling exceeds home grilling by far. I think it would be awesome to build a fire - wood, kindling, and a bargaineer - then grill. Perhaps Dad can put in a fire pit. Still, it was a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see the army you fed! and can you overnight us some leftovers on ice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a perfect day & great way to end the summer!

    Next year you should start by grilling breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envious of your grilling prowess. Lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mark...I think you've got the new "blank canvas" backyard. Maybe we can draw up some plans for a barbeque/firepit at your house

    @ Courtney.. sorry, no leftovers here (as I munch on my pulled pork sandwich) :)

    @Alexis... thanks...i'm glad you had fun, but dont think that just because the summer's over, the grilling ends!

    @Ryan..hey good to see you post here! thanks for the comment

    ReplyDelete