Monday, July 5, 2010

Atomic Buffalo Turds


I ask myself..."What would George Washington grill on the 4th of July?"  So, I think about the United States of America.  Which makes me think about the Star Spangled Banner.  Which makes me think about "home of the brave", which reminds me of "home on the range", which leads me to "where the buffalo roam".  And what do you have where buffalo roam? Yup, Buffalo Turds.  Atomic Buffalo Turds that is.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Now go get a whole bunch of jalapeno peppers.  You're gonna want to try this.  Everything else you probably already have in the fridge.


I've seen this recipe on a couple other sites and I don't know why I waited until now to try this.  It really is as simple as it looks.  I don't really even need to post a recipe for this one.  Just follow the pictures.


Basically we're just slicing jalapenos in half, and scooping out the seeds.  Then fill your little jalapeno boats with cream cheese.  I mixed cayenne pepper into my cream cheese, but you could put just about anything in yours. Next, poke a Lil' Smokie in the middle and wrap the whole thing in a half piece of bacon secured with a toothpick. One actual tip I read on other sites and found useful enough to mention, would be to pierce just the bacon and the smokie with the toothpick.  Try not to go all the way through to the pepper.  Otherwise, you've just created a "cheese drainage system" instead of a "flavor containment latch".


 Another reason why I liked this recipe is because it will not only satisfy your grilling and bacon desires, but also satisfies your arts and crafts urges.


 As for grilling, I set up an indirect heat fire and had them on for a little over half an hour.  Some of the other recipes called for an hour and a half at a lower temp, but all you need to do is cook the bacon.  So really, grill it as long, or as short as you want.  As long as the bacon is done you should be good.  I do recommend at least long enough to soften up the peppers.  I was pleasantly surprised how well the jalapenos held up on the grill and really came out with nice smoky, spicy flavor.

Overall, I'll definitely be trying this one again.  As for variations...maybe I'd work some ground sausage into the cream cheese instead of using a smokie.  Or, possibly some pulled chicken leftover from enchilada night.  Hmm.... the possibilities are endless with this one.

1 comment:

  1. Courtney and I call it "Cook 'till hungry", when there is a nice wide range of acceptable cooking times.

    ReplyDelete